One Owner fro 74 Years
Documentation from New
Desirable Phaeton Body Style
Initially purchased in 1937 by a wealthy family in Lake Forest, Illinois, this car was acquired for the family’s caretaker, who used it to drive the children to school and recreational activities such as beach outings. As the family bought a new car every year for this purpose, the Ford was traded back to the local dealer just one year after its initial purchase.
On November 30, 1938, this delightful Phaeton found a more permanent home when it was bought by Mr. and Mrs. Leon Emmert. Dubbed “Claudia” in honor of Mrs. Emmert’s hairdresser, this car became a prized possession of the Emmert family that has remained with them until recently. Spending most of those 74 years garaged at the Emmerts’ lake home in Door County, Wisconsin, this Phaeton has been largely preserved with only a few notable exceptions. In 1962, new seat covers were installed, but the original upholstery remains underneath for the buyer who might wish to restore the car even more faithfully. In 1980, the engine and transmission were treated to a rebuild by B.S. “Wizzy” Wisniewski of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a onetime local legend in the field of American automobile restoration. During the same year, the car received a quality repaint in its original color.
Other than these few sympathetic restoration measures, this Deluxe Phaeton remains a faithfully preserved example of Ford’s classic open-air cruiser. Regularly exercised, the car is reported by the consignor to operate and drive with as-new driving characteristics and its 32-year-old cosmetic restoration has nicely mellowed to display a warm patina. Accompanied by its original side curtains and a lifetime of record keeping, including the original 1938 purchase contract, 1938 title, and a maintenance file that stretches over 74 years, this Ford is a benchmark example and its comprehensive documentation is matched only by its select ownership and remarkable originality