Thursday, June 15, 2017

1959 Aston Martin DB 2/4 Mark III




1959 Aston Martin DB 2/4 Mark III 1959 was a significant year for this marque. The DB 2/4 Coupe sported the newly designed grille that would forever be associated with James Bond. In fact, Bond drove a Mark III in the movie Goldfinger !! . The DB 2/4, descriptive of the occasional rear seating (found below a folding panel), added much needed storage room and seating for tiny children as well. This Aston has benefited from an excellent restoration on a California rust free car. The undercarriage is tidy and shows no signs of rust problems associated with many cars. Although it was painted several years ago, the black paint and laser straight panels are excellent. All of the chrome is like new as well as the chrome wire wheels. Red leather compliments the interior and has very few signs of use. An Aston Martin six-cylinder engine and transmission are available with the car, however it has been replaced with a much more powerful and user friendly engine and mated to a 5 speed transmission. It is a performance Chevy 350 V8 with four bolt mains, Edelbrock performance camshaft and intake package. That includes an Edelbrock 750 CFM Avenger carburetor, and freshly built 1968 DZ302 cylinder heads (Z28 heads) The powerplant idles smoothly and performs as it should!! The engine and transmission fit perfectly on the existing chassis. Only 83 LHD DB 2/4 III's were built out of the total of 462 cars. This Aston can be totally enjoyed as is or have the 6 cylinder engine and transmission rebuilt for a future transplant if desired. $250,000.

http://www.robertpass.com/inventory_details.asp?InventoryNum=1196

Friday, April 14, 2017

1924 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8


1924 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8 Tourer by LeBaron Isotta Fraschini was known for the production of cars which were among the most luxurious and prestigious ever built. The company was founded in 1900 by Cesare Isotta, Vincenzo Oreste and Antonio Fraschini. They were among the early pioneers of the overhead camshaft engine, designed by Giustino Cattaneo. Isotta Fraschini introduced the Tipo 8 in 1919 at the Paris Salon. It was the first production automobile to be powered by a straight -8 engine. Of the estimated 400-600 Tipo 8 chassis built, number 489 with engine 500 is one of only 20 surviving Tipo 8 Isottas with LeBaron coachwork. By 1924, the final year of production for the Tip 8, Isotta had become one of the most prestigious marques in the world.

 Known as the Italian Duesenberg, owners included Rudolph Valentino, boxer Jack Dempsey, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia, and even His holiness , the Pope. Ownership of this car in the U.S. was traced back to George Piperno/NY, William Pollack/PA, Al Rodway Museum/OH, Walter Wimer/PA and Laverne Johnson/ MI ( over 40 years). The combined total of the above owners spanned over 60 years. In 2000 Clark Patton of Michigan performed a mechanical restoration which included an engine rebuild. Further work was performed by Brian Joseph Restorations in Michigan in 2014, including a clutch, replacing the transmission pilot bearing, cleaning and adjusting the clutch spines, inspecting the brakes and installing new tires for safe touring.

The Tipo 8 is a myth in the automobile world in that it only produced rolling chassis. They never built bodies. All customer orders were sent to body craftsmen of their choosing. Therefore, each car had its own history and personality. Seriously affected by the economic crisis of the 1930’s and by the disruption of WW II, Isotta stopped manufacturing in 1949. Specifications follow: 5.9 litre massive overhead cam shaft 80 hp. 360 cu.inch engine. Inline 8 cylinders, 3 speed transmission, Vacuum servo-assisted Dewandre drum brakes, TOP SPEED: 90 MPH List price of chassis only: $10,000. This is a great find for a serious collector. Trades gladly accepted.

http://www.robertpass.com/inventory_details.asp?offset=3&InventoryNum=1173

Thursday, April 6, 2017

1924 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8


1924 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8 Tourer by LeBaron Isotta Fraschini was known for the production of cars which were among the most luxurious and prestigious ever built. The company was founded in 1900 by Cesare Isotta, Vincenzo Oreste and Antonio Fraschini. They were among the early pioneers of the overhead camshaft engine, designed by Giustino Cattaneo. Isotta Fraschini introduced the Tipo 8 in 1919 at the Paris Salon. It was the first production automobile to be powered by a straight -8 engine. Of the estimated 400-600 Tipo 8 chassis built, number 489 with engine 500 is one of only 20 surviving Tipo 8 Isottas with LeBaron coachwork. By 1924, the final year of production for the Tip 8, Isotta had become one of the most prestigious marques in the world.

Known as the Italian Duesenberg, owners included Rudolph Valentino, boxer Jack Dempsey, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia, and even His holiness , the Pope. Ownership of this car in the U.S. was traced back to George Piperno/NY, William Pollack/PA, Al Rodway Museum/OH, Walter Wimer/PA and Laverne Johnson/ MI ( over 40 years). The combined total of the above owners spanned over 60 years.

In 2000 Clark Patton of Michigan performed a mechanical restoration which included an engine rebuild. Further work was performed by Brian Joseph Restorations in Michigan in 2014, including a clutch, replacing the transmission pilot bearing, cleaning and adjusting the clutch spines, inspecting the brakes and installing new tires for safe touring. The Tipo 8 is a myth in the automobile world in that it only produced rolling chassis. They never built bodies. All customer orders were sent to body craftsmen of their choosing. Therefore, each car had its own history and personality. Seriously affected by the economic crisis of the 1930’s and by the disruption of WW II, Isotta stopped manufacturing in 1949. Specifications follow: 5.9 litre massive overhead cam shaft 80 hp. 360 cu.inch engine. Inline 8 cylinders, 3 speed transmission, Vacuum servo-assisted Dewandre drum brakes, TOP SPEED: 90 MPH List price of chassis only: $10,000.

This is a great find for a serious collector. Trades gladly accepted.

http://www.robertpass.com/inventory_details.asp?InventoryNum=1173

Friday, March 31, 2017

1958 Aston Martin DB 2/4 Mark III

 

1958 Aston Martin DB 2/4 Mark III 1958 was a significant year for this marque. The DB 2/4 Coupe sported the newly designed grille that would forever be associated with James Bond. In fact, Bond drove a Mark III in the movie Goldfinger !! . The DB 2/4, descriptive of the occasional rear seating (found below a folding panel), added much needed storage room and seating for tiny children as well. This Aston has benefited from an excellent restoration on a California rust free car. The undercarriage is tidy and shows no signs of rust problems associated with many cars. Although it was painted several years ago, the black paint and laser straight panels are excellent. All of the chrome is like new as well as the chrome wire wheels. Red leather compliments the interior and has very few signs of use. An Aston Martin six-cylinder engine and transmission are available with the car, however it has been replaced with a much more powerful and user friendly engine and mated to a 5 speed transmission. It is a performance Chevy 350 V8 with four bolt mains, Edelbrock performance camshaft and intake package. That includes an Edelbrock 750 CFM Avenger carburetor, and freshly built 1968 DZ302 cylinder heads (Z28 heads) The powerplant idles smoothly and performs as it should!! The engine and transmission fit perfectly on the existing chassis. Only 83 LHD DB 2/4 III's were built out of the total of 462 cars. This Aston can be totally enjoyed as is or have the 6 cylinder engine and transmission rebuilt for a future transplant if desired.

http://www.robertpass.com/inventory_details.asp?InventoryNum=1196

Friday, March 17, 2017

Thursday, March 16, 2017

1970 Mercedes Benz 280SL



1970 Mercedes 280SL #20113303 This beautiful 1970 280SL has only traveled 49,346 miles since new. Two long term owners have maintained and kept excellent records of its journey since 1970 Designed by Paul Bracq, the 280SL built between 1967-1971, the 280SL has a timeless design insuring it a place in Mercedes history. The W113 platform was refined over the years and was at its peak performance sporting a 2.8-liter engine in 1970. The "pagoda" hardtop, named because of its distinct concave design, is elegant in any viewing angle. This long term two owner car has benefitted from a" Mike Manns" restoration at a cost of over $100,000. All invoices and records are with the car. The factory anthracite gray finish is beyond fantastic !! During restoration, even the the seat frames were stripped down to change all of the foam padding --which literally melted away over time. All of the dash and trim wood was removed and refinished as well. Mechanically, the engine has been maintained and fitted with new parts as needed by a well known Mercedes expect.-- all records are also with the car. In addition, the original Bill of Sale and Mercedes Benz manuals are with this 280SL. It is equipped with its original 2.8 liter engine, 4 speed automatic transmission, factory working Becker AM-FM radio, hartz cloth soft top, pagoda hardtop, restored original factory air conditioning, 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes, independent front suspension with coil springs and the swing-axle rear suspension with radius arms and coil springs. The original tool roll is in the boot with the spare tire. If you are looking for one of the best 280SL's on the market-- this is the car.

http://www.robertpass.com/inventory_details.asp?InventoryNum=1194